Sunday, October 13, 2013

DIY Captain's Mirror

I fell in love with a captain's mirror and thought it would be perfect for my new entryway. I was extremely disappointed after realizing that the price tag was well out of our reach. I'm sure those mirrors are gorgeous, but I can't see myself spending $2,000 on a mirror no matter how gorgeous. I was browsing House & Home magazine online and there it was, a DIY Catain's Mirror Tutorial by style editor  Morgan Michener. Although not exactly the look, it was close. I also found this DIY Captain's Mirror Tutorial over at WindMilldeco. Instead of using belts,  I found a store on etsy that sold leather strips in the width and length for a much better price than buying a leather belt. I also didn't want the belt buckles anyway. I wanted to use rivets to attach the leather hanger to the mirror. Using the two tutorials and and my own ideas,  this is my diy captain's mirror for our entryway.






Supply & Tools List

Ikea Grudtal Mirror $29.99
Ikea Grundtal Hanger $5.99 / 2 pk
1" leather strip x circumference of mirror
1/2" leather strip
Tremclad flat black Rust Paint
Rivets
Leather punch
Painters Tape
Paper
Hot glue gun
Heavy duty Glue sticks







A few pictures of the process



No comments:

Post a Comment