Wednesday, November 6, 2013

DIY Chalkboard wall

We had this wall in our kitchen that I didn't know what to do with, so I turned it into a chalkboard wall. The wall has a calender, a menu plan and an area for the kids to doodle. I really like the calender and it has been very helpful in keeping everyone updated on daily activities and make sure that schedules don't conflict. There have been a few times where both older kids needed to be in different cities at almost the same time. It doesn't happen too often, but it's nice to have a calender that has everyone's activities so we can be aware for and plan for any conflicts. It's only going to get worse when the littles get involved in evening activities. Right now they only have day time activities. 

I used Benjamin Moore chalkboard paint. Actually every paint I use is Benjamin Moore Paint From Southside Paint. It is really easy to use. This was a new piece of drywall, so I had to prime first and then painted 2 coats of  Benjamin Moore chalkboard paint. After the chalkboard paint is dry, and before you use the chalkboard, the instructions say to apply chalk to the entire chalkboard surface. I turned a piece of chalk on it's side and went over the entire chalkboard surface. Wipe off the chalk and your chalkboard is ready to use. Easy peasy.

What to use on the chalkboard wall. I was so excited to find Chalkboard markers. At first they seemed to work but now they aren't removing completely. I am not sure why that is. It is a different batch of markers from a different store than my first markers, but they are the same brand. I will still use them as they remove well enough. For the perfectionist in me, it is a little irritating that they don't remove completely.

This is the completed chalkboard wall.


The wall started like this.


Here are some of the chalkboard details. Excuse the ipod pics. As you can see in the bottom right pic of the collage, the kids really like the chalkboard wall.


Updated: i've decided to change the chalk wall. The chalk markers were not erasing well when left for a month. The activities from the previous month were still slightly visible and i found it very distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment